You may do everything in your power to keep your home safe and secure from threats, but you may not realize perhaps one of the largest threats to you and your family’s safety may already be inside. Carbon monoxide is commonly known as the “silent killer” because it’s odorless, tasteless, and colorless, making it virtually impossible for human senses to detect. However, it’s also extremely toxic and in haling too much of it can be deadly.
Fortunately, detectors exist that can alert you to the presence of carbon monoxide well before levels reach potentially deadly, allowing you to ventilate your home and fix the issue. Every homeowner should have at least a couple of these detectors located at different important spots, such as one in the kitchen area and another in a central location near bedrooms. Let’s take a look at why this is important.
We know what you might be thinking: rather than spend the money on detectors, why not just do everything you can to remove the contributing factors for carbon monoxide from your home entirely? To be honest that’s easier said than done, and you may have to remove some of your most beloved and often-utilized features or devices to do so.
Carbon monoxide is a natural byproduct of the combustion process. In other words, anything that burns can create carbon monoxide, including everything from a simple candle to an incense stick to your fireplace to even your gas range, oven, and central heater (if it runs on gas). Even a gas-burning laundry dryer or water heater can create carbon monoxide. While not every home has a natural gas connection, the majority of homes do, and that means the majority of homes utilize appliances that run on gas, which means they could create carbon monoxide.
Now, does that mean these appliances are inherently unsafe? No, not at all. Most gas-burning appliances have exhaust systems built in that allow them to safely dispose of these fumes, including carbon monoxide fumes, before they can ever reach your home in significant numbers. While a little bit might sneak in to your air, odds are it’s nowhere near enough to cause any harm. However, you should inspect these appliances fairly regularly to make sure they are well cared-for and in good condition to avoid the possibility of any leaks making things worse.
Fortunately, you can protect yourself from carbon monoxide by purchasing a detector. At Carney & Son 72 Degrees, we provide reliable and trustworthy carbon monoxide detector services, including in-home installation and testing to ensure your home remains safe and secure. All models we offer are reliable and come with a five-year warranty to give you the peace of mind of knowing you’re protected. We can even come to your home and run thorough carbon monoxide testing to set you up with an ideal carbon monoxide detector solution that keeps your whole home protected for years to come.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends at least one detector on each floor of your residence as well as one detector in each area where major gas-burning appliances can be found, such as in your garage, laundry area, or kitchen. Most of these detectors have battery backups in them—be sure to check these batteries periodically and replace them as needed to ensure they continue to function should their main power connection go down.
It’s particularly important to have these detectors during winter months if you have a gas-burning furnace because your furnace is arguably the largest risk factor when it comes to carbon monoxide formation. A crack in your furnace heat exchanger could rapidly leak carbon monoxide out into the air, creating a huge threat to your home, and other malfunctions could also cause leaks as well. These leaks most commonly appear during the first heat cycle of the season, which means it’s important to have your system maintained and inspected before firing up your furnace for the first time.
If you need a furnace inspection or maintenance service, call the Johns Island heating repairs experts at Carney & Son 72 Degrees today at (843) 352-8140 to schedule an in-home appointment!
Appointments Scheduled Within 24 Hours
100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
0% Financing for 18 Months
2-Year Labor Warranties & Free Estimates
Specializing in Unit Replacement
Technician Seal of Safety
30+ Years of Experience
Family-Owned & Operated
Licensed & Insured Technicians